Thursday 25 July 2019

simple pleasures no. 5 - fear and loathing



I love this book! I know I shouldn't but I just love it. It's the story of a journey to the heart of darkness in America fueled by copious quantities of mind-blowing drugs and fast cars. It's written by the late Hunter S. Thompson, one of my all-time favourite authors, and illustrated by Ralph Steadman in his hallmark 'Francis Bacon meets Salvador Dali' style.

I retrieved my copy from the bookshelves to take a photo and now I just have to re-read it. Who could possible resist this as an opening...?!!!!'

 'We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like, 'I feel a little light-headed; maybe you should drive...' And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around our car, which was going about a hundred miles an hour with the top down to Las Vegas.'

©  1971 Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do add your comments here. It's always great to hear from readers!