Tuesday 23 July 2019

simple pleasures no. 3 - the boot



I do love a good boot. My feet are not insubstantial things; they are also somewhat flatter than the flattest of proverbial pancakes, meaning good support is essential.

Hitherto my boot of choice has been the tried and tested 'Timberland'.  I have several in my collection for like most men of a certain age, once an item of clothing has proved reliable, comfortable and reasonably priced then serial purchases are made as each successive iteration begins to wear out.  Of course, its predecessor is never consigned to the bin. This invariably results in my gentleman's wardrobe resembling a costume equivalent of the picture of Dorian Grey, albeit in reverse.

Step forward then the newcomers to my burgeoning boot camp. These are 'Red Wings', which I assure readers of a more sensitive disposition have absolutely nothing to do with a badge of honour awarded to Hell's Angel following the performance of a somewhat racy sexual act. Google it if you really must.

The boots in question are 'Iron Rangers', which if the advertising guff is to be believed, were 'designed with a double leather toe-cap for extra strength for the miners of the Mesabi iron range in Minnesota'. I am blissfully unaware of the existence of any Mesabi iron deposits in the immediate vicinity, but can draw comfort from knowing that should any be found I will be properly equipped.

Ah, the simple pleasures of life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do add your comments here. It's always great to hear from readers!