Monday 3 December 2018

all downhill from here and other poems




I'm delighted to confirm I made a short but eccentric debut as a poet last night. It was an 'open-mike' session at the legendary Pretty Bricks.

The three poems I presented appear below and the accompanying photo was taken during the course of 'gotcha'. The audience really did say 'cheese' rather than pelting me with rotten tomatoes, which is what I rather think I deserved!

 
 all downhill from here

I was born to this world when incredibly young,
bereft of control over bladder, bowels and tongue.
But as I grow old I'm sorry to say,
I'm hurtling downhill
with no means to delay.

For that which was supple and flexed with great ease
is now fused solid from hips to the knees
Whilst a thing once rigid, jutting proud, firm and bold
droops limp in reverse, a sad sign that I'm old.

 The waist grows thicker the hair starts to thin
Spare me the tonic, just bring me the gin.

So with stoic resolve it's the final big drop,
A vertiginous fall from life's mountain top
It'll bring me full circle to where I've begun,
bereft of control over bladder, bowels and tongue!

gotcha

I've selfied on my smartphone
a thousand smiling ways
that say I am so happy
despite this sad malaise

I check my likes each hour
I tweet like I'm the best
but it can't disguise the fact
that I'm totally depressed

those plates of food that look so good
the holiday snaps amazing
I've photo-shopped my wrinkled face
so no more crazy paving

my eyes burn bright my teeth shine white
I'd like to say I'm happy
but scratch beneath the surface
and all I feel is crappy

Yet wait, I have the answer
I'll turn the lens around
you don't look quite so good yourself
I'm sure that's what I've found

I'll count you down I'll count you in
your best grins if you please
and when I reach the number three
I'd like you to say 'cheese'!!!

 READY?

1 - 2- 3

CHEESE!!!

I've gotcha on my camera
it's there for all to see
I'm off to post on instagram ...
you look as bad as me!
               
united in language

Trump; noxious hot wind
emitted by an anus
leaves behind foul smells. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do add your comments here. It's always great to hear from readers!