Monday 15 January 2018

dreams and nightmares - no. 4


where are you taking me?


 

  

Dear Sheddists,

travel and journeys feature frequently in both dreams and nightmares. In the photograph above I wanted to capture that elusive sense of passing through landscape at speed.

I have a beautiful book called, 'Imperiled Landscapes' by Lynn Butler. She's an American who takes many of her photographs with a hand-held camera whilst out riding in the country. As a result the pictures are blurred and abstract, leaving lots of space for viewers to construct their own narrative to the images.

I don't subscribe to the view everything has to be pin-sharp for a photo to be interesting. To the contrary, sometimes images can seem flat and lifeless without an element of movement.

I took the photograph above whilst I was a passenger on a journey to Norfolk. The weather was overcast and grey. Rather than detracting from the image I was after this actually re-enforced the atmosphere. Poor weather seems no excuse for putting the camera away!

I set a slow shutter speed, looked ahead for interesting objects in the landscape and took photo after photo.  On occasion I deliberately shot low into the road, on others I included more of the sky.

The motion blur has created a series of muted, abstract images. Some remind me of David Lynch's films, others of batik fabric. But what do you think?

Best regards,

electrofried(mr)











































No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do add your comments here. It's always great to hear from readers!