Sunday 19 December 2010

a glimpse of sunshine ...

A short glimpse of sunshine to brighten a cold winter morning.

My daughter brings her two sons through to our bedroom.  I haul eldest aboard, and he waits expectantly for the first biscuit of the day.  Each morning for the last three weeks it's been the same ritual.  The muffled footsteps of a sleep-suited toddler, the warming comfort of a hot mug of tea and then the book.   "My Grandpa is AMAZING!"

We've read it together these past three weeks until we both know it by heart.  He even knows the page on which to find the tiny mouse.  "Eeek, eeek!", and the second biscuit of the day is consumed.

And then Twitch arrives.  He's smiling, he's moving ... he's alive. Had you asked me a month ago if he would see Christmas, then I would shake my head sadly.  Yet he is very much here - a glimpse of sunshine on a thin, wintery morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do add your comments here. It's always great to hear from readers!