Monday 13 June 2016

A visit to Polar Bear


Dear Sheddists,

an unexpected treat is in store for me today as I find myself with a little time on my hands, my dear wife wife having taken off with our eldest and a fully loaded credit-card for some much-needed mum and daughter retail therapy.

A man on a mission

 What else can a man do on an occasion like this but go record hunting!  I've been meaning to pay a visit for some time now to the legendary, 'Polar Bear' in King's Heath, Birmingham and an ideal opportunity has just presented itself.

Sandwiched between a hairdressers and a hardware store I discover behind its smart but tasteful shop frontage both a veritable cornucopia of superb music in vinyl and CD format and a very knowledgeable, friendly owner.

Steve clearly knows his stuff and clearly loves his music.  He can even be forgiven a borderline obsession with the works of Bob Dylan whose album sleeves decorate the top of the wall by the door.

Like a kid in a sweetshop

 It's not long before I'm leafing through the Soul Jazz, soundtracks and reggae sections, turning up treasure after treasure.  I'm sorely tempted by 'Saved and Sanctified' a collection of old school gospel and a vinyl copy of Prince Far I's, 'Cry Tuff Dub Encounters Vol. 3' (on sale at half the Amazon asking price for a CD copy) but I move on.

The first selection of the afternoon is a Soul Jazz reggae compilation, '500% Dynamite' in the second-hand CD section, quickly followed by an amazing vinyl boxset by Jean-Claude Vannier on the Finders Keepers label.  Only 150 copies were ever released and I'm now the proud owner of no. 78!

For those who have not heard of the legendary Monsieur Vannier he's a self-taught French pianist who's scored films, made a fantastic contribution to Serge Gainsbourg's cult album, 'Histoire de Melodie Nelson' and curated a Hollywood Bowl show featuring both Beck and Grizzly Bear.  A man of many and immense talents!

I move on and make another fantastic find in the box-set section, Cabaret Voltaire's, '#8385 Collected Works'.  I resolve to look out my old vinyl copy of 'Mix-Up' their debut album, which I haven't played in years.

And so to the till, but not before I discover a second-hand CD copy of Tony Joe White's, 'Hoodoo'.  At £4 it represents my bargain of the day!

It's not just the music

Superb record stores are not just about the music - the people who run them and the people who shop there can tell you so much more. Steve, the owner is fantastic. He welcomes me warmly, explains a little of the history of the shop and tells me not to feel obliged to buy anything when I next visit. You have to be joking!!  I can sense my children's inheritance slip inexorably away as I bring to mind the other hidden treasures I left behind.

Steve's customers are equally as friendly. I meet one of his long-term friends, Rob, who has come with his son and partner who are visiting from London. Rob is a very spritely silver-goateed seventy two year old with a sparkle in his eye and a tale to tell. His framed vinyl copy of Allen Ginsberg's spoken poem, 'Howl' adorns the far wall. What a pleasure to meet him!

A toast

So tonight as I listen to Cabaret Voltaire and tap away at my keyboard I raise a toast to Steve, Rob and the Polar Bear.  You made my day and I will be back soon!

Best regards,

electrofried(mr)

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do add your comments here. It's always great to hear from readers!